Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Embracing Change



It's hard to imagine that one short year ago, I was mother of one, building raised garden beds out back, and so clueless about how my life would change in a few weeks. But here I am, with Mr. Squirmy who never stays still, even in his sleep, and Cool Cat Avi, who continually surprises me with his unusual interests and sensitive demeanor. I also had some inkling that we would eventually outgrow our townhouse, but I enjoyed putting in hardwood floors, painting the rooms, and making my backyard something more than a weed garden. So as I prepare to move in the hot Summer to the South, I can only speculate about what I will think a year from now. Already I've seen how months of obsessing over job prospects can evaporate into the mists of forgotten memories as soon as you sign a contract. I wonder if my hours of searching for condos we can live in without going crazy will remotely resemble our ultimate choice, or if my weekend chipping away at all the junk we accumulate will actually help. A year from now, these struggles (and others like them) may amount to a dinner joke, but I doubt it will be a defining moment in our lives.
What will we remember? Will we miss our old familiar streets? Our friends and family that are so easy to take for granted? Having no idea what it's like to be uprooted, I have no comparisons, no road map. I chuckle at Avi's comments "I hope our next house has a balcony and a pool" or "I think I'm going to like our next place better" or "isn't your new job going to pay you a million dollars?" (yeah right!). It helps me not think about the little things, like where I'm going to get my hair done (I've been going to the same salon for 8 years), or what it's going to be like without a readily available source of high-quality uncompensated childcare--I mean, my mom. :) But I do think about those things, and I'll try out a babysitting service, and a few salons too. Maybe even the big changes will be forgotten.
I think what we will remember are all the new memories of places we will explore together, sharing in the novelty of streets we walk on, each of us for the first time. I'm certain we will remember fun weekend crafts, and mid week family dinners--all of which made possible by making a good job choice. And while it's true that we may get a little cabin fever living in a smaller condo, what we will gain in all-around minimalism will make sure that what is in our house are the things that matter most. (it will also encourage us to get out more)
At some point we are all given the chance to embrace change, to leap without looking, to savor the space betwixt and between. Most of the time we are too afraid, or consumed to notice the opportunity for reflection, remembrance, hope, and wonderment. As adults, we should cherish these moments. It doesn't take a life transition to give you this chance. I believe we can find the awesomeness in everyday; and when we do, we are better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment