Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Gratitude



Our Thanksgiving season this year was remarkable in several ways. Firstly, we found out that we are adding a baby girl to our family. What a rush! Secondly, my dearest friend had her first baby! Lucky for me, she was past due, so I was able to see her baby just hours after she was born on Thanksgiving Day. Given that my friend has been one of my first hospital visitors for both of my kids, it was really a treat to be able to return the favor. Plus I got a little practice changing baby girl diapers. (It's different, that's for sure!) Although we had to endure a 12 hour drive that I thought would never end, it was worth it. I'm not sure that I'll be doing that again any time soon, but you never know.
In my reflections of this year, as it comes to a close, I have several insights that are worth sharing. This year for me was filled with a theme of "gratitude". Gratitude is also a character trait, the one with the strongest association to mental well-being, and one that you can practice. We practice this at home with my son, Avi by discussing "what went well" that day. Studies show that if you keep a gratitude journal, you can improve your mood. To me this is the surface level of gratitude. I believe that deep gratitude is earned, especially when you have endured difficult times. You can truly be grateful for a well-orchestrated Thanksgiving meal when you have once looked into your cupboards and seen them bare. Gratitude is looking around to see your family grow and laugh together across the generations, knowing that some of your cherished loved ones have passed away and can only smile from Heaven. You can truly be thankful for a loving, generous heart, when you have re-payed evil with good, and can tolerate an offense. To live a life free of bitterness and strife is surely something to be thankful for, if you can manage to attain it. I'm also thankful for wisdom that I have gained over the years. Wisdom that keeps my words few, and my decisions sound. I am full of gratitude that I live in my own world of peace, impervious to the chaos around me, dwelling in the secret place of the Most High, abiding under the shadow of the Almighty.
Those are the big things. But I'm also full of gratitude for the little things. Like when my husband hand delivers the remote from 2 feet away. Or when Isaiah gives me a spontaneous sloppy wet kiss for no reason. Or when I catch Avi doing something good and get to praise him for it, watching him grin from ear to ear.
For some people, gratitude is a natural, automatic experience. They are always looking on the bright side, seeing the silver lining in all the clouds without effort. For me is has been a learned skill that I've made a habit. Like Victor Frankel, I have searched for meaning in suffering, and found the gratitude that comes with realizing how precious peace of mind is. Bearing witness to the suffering of others, and playing a role in alleviating their psychic pain is a powerful experience that you don't have to go to medical school for, but one I'm glad to be trained to recognize.
In conclusion, 2011 has been a year of milestones and transitions. And in my changing and growing, I discovered a miracle. Going through tests and trials from a centered, inner space is magical. You come out being so thankful for every challenge that comes your way. You welcome adversity as your ally in self-reflection and self-awareness. Who am I really? When the pressure builds, what comes out? When I am tested, will I "come forth as gold"? Is my humility growing? Do I have a servant's heart?
The bumps of life will be my mirror. I am thankful for the opportunity to see where I am, and the chance to see where I want to go next.

No comments:

Post a Comment